Curried Lamb in Coconut Sauce
- 3 lbs lamb
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon shadon beni chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 scotch bonnet pepper (finely diced – no seeds)
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley (flat leaf)
- Wash and pat the lamb dry with paper towels.
- Heat the oil in a deep/heavy sauce pan on med/high heat. Add the lamb, so they brown on each side for a few minutes (you may need to turn the heat down to medium).
- Remove the browned lamb and set aside. Turn the heat down to low and add a tablespoon more oil if necessary. Toss in the diced onion, crushed garlic and grate the ginger directly into the pot. Let that cook on low for about 3 minutes (be sure to move around) so you get that wonderful flavor base.
- Now, add the curry powder and cook for a couple minutes (stir well).
- Add back the browned lamb. Move around the pan to try and pick up some of that curry base created.
- Toss in the chopped shadon beni, scotch bonnet pepper, scallions, thyme and black pepper. Stir properly, and then add the salt, coconut milk and water.
- Turn the heat up so you can bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to very low so you have a gentle simmer. Cover the pot and let that cook for about 1.5 hrs or until the lamb is tender and falling off the bones. Remember to stir the pot every 10-15 minutes
- Serve lamb over steaming hot bed of white basmati rice. Enjoy!